Heartbreak Bleeds Green: My Memoir as a Philadelphia Eagles Fan (So Far)

I can't claim to be a lifelong Eagles fan having been born and raised in New York. In fact, I can pinpoint the exact day that I swore my allegiance to Philadelphia football. It was April 17, 1999, the day Philadelphia took Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick in the draft.

Being a 12 year old without a true favorite team I decided to follow the best player to come out of my favorite college program, Syracuse, on his NFL journey. Shortly after the draft I harassed my mother into ordering me a forest green #5 jersey when it first appeared in an Eastbay catalog and my allegiance was complete. Donovan McNabb has come and gone after a fairly noteworthy career. Yet, I have remained steadfastly loyal through the last 19 seasons.

Through the years I have stuck with the team through the ups and downs and learned what it means to suffer like a Philadelphian. My high school years were filled with some great seasons. However, they all ended in heartbreak. Three straight NFC title game loses followed by a Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots was the best I got to see. The Eagles for all their regular season success could never capture the ultimate prize in those four years.

Growing up I was always an outcast in NFL terms and my friends were always sure to remind me. I heard over and over that McNabb & Co. were a bunch of choke jobs and for good reason. It was always hard to swallow.

Finally, I found my way to the University of Delaware for college in the heart of Eagles' country and I fit right in. I was able to watch the Eagles on a weekly basis for the first time in my time as a fan and even had other Eagles fans to watch the games with. I finally fit in. However, the team was on the decline after the Super Bowl loss to New England. Outside of a surprise NFC title game appearance (which they unsurprisingly lost to Arizona) during my senior year there wasn't a ton to write home about during my years in Eagles country.

To make matters worse for all the near misses that I'd experienced; the hated Giants were able to win a Super Bowl in 2008. My friend John was sure to remind me of this with a long distance call from Connecticut that he predicted exactly that to occur before 2010. As the Eagles decline came to completion and the lean years began, the Giants were able to win yet another Super Bowl against New England. The heartbreak and disappointment had become full fledged resentment toward the Giants as they surpassed Dallas as public enemy number one in my opinion.

Andy Reid was out and in came Chip Kelly with his "revolutionary" play calling. One playoff appearance in three years proved the Eagles were still moving in the wrong direction. What I would've taken for another NFC title game choke job just to have the franchise be relevant in the league again.

That brings us to last year. Under new coach Doug Pederson, the Eagles only finished 7-9 but there was hope for the future. The foundation had been laid with Quarterback Carson Wentz as the cornerstone. There were plenty of close loses and another playoff-less season. However, Wentz looked like a potential stud. It was the first time in awhile I felt optimistic after an Eagles season.

Going into this season I was hopeful for improvements. Perhaps 9-7 or 10-6 and a run at a wild card spot was within the realm of possibility. As all the experts said, there was the possibility of a "sophomore slump" for Wentz and the secondary looked weak. I couldn't hope for much more; Could I?

Once the season got underway it became clear that I could as Wentz was even more special than previously imagined. He wasn't just a quarterback to build around but was an MVP candidate in just his second season. The defense was better than anyone ever expected behind a stellar D line. Things were looking potentially magical in Philly. Little by little I began dreaming of a return to the big game.

As the season wore on, player after player began to go down with injury: Sproles, Peters, Hicks, Sturgis, Maragos. The list went on and on yet the team kept winning. Things seemed too good to be true and perhaps they were because what seemed like it would be the deathblow was struck. In a pivotal match up for playoff seeding against the Rams in Los Angeles, Wentz went down with a season ending knee injury. It felt like typical Eagles luck. A Super Bowl appearance now seemed like a pipe dream even with the division pretty much locked up.

The Eagles offense with backup Nick Foles looked pedestrian as the birds closed the season 13-3 and home field advantage in the playoffs. Doubt started to creep in as the playoffs approached. My expectations were tampered. Perhaps I was mentally preparing myself for yet another playoff failure. After all, not many had faith in this team as they were the first number one seed to be underdogs at home in the divisional round. However, behind a stout defensive performance the Eagles were able to overcome Atlanta in an ugly battle of the birds and avoid throwing away 13 wins in their first playoff game.

Minnesota loomed next after their epic victory over New Orleans. I was hopeful the D could lead us to another victory. However, in the back of my mind I couldn't shake the idea that the same bad movie would play itself out again in an NFC title game. I mean how could you blame me? The Vikings scoring on their opening drive seemed right on cue. Then the Eagles behind Foles and the D rewrote the script. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagine cruising to victory 38-7. Especially without Wentz.

We were going back to the Super Bowl!

My excitement has slowly grown over the last two weeks as I've slogged through the daily grind and I'm sure the butterflies will be flapping in my stomach tomorrow. With kickoff just about 24 hours away I can't help but think just how fitting it would be for the Eagles to finally win a Super Bowl this season: the year when things seemed lost with Wentz going down. I've seen the Eagles choke as favorites numerous times yet this season they are the ultimate underdog. All that stands in their way is the ultimate football dynasty led by Brady and Belichick. Fitting isn't it?

In spite of this, something just feels different about these Eagles. As nervous as I should feel about facing New England there's something about the way that things have played out that has me feeling cautiously optimistic and confident. Perhaps I shouldn't feel this way and I'm just not keeping my innate optimism in check.

Only time will tell if my optimism is well founded, and win or lose this will certainly have been a memorable season. However, I just can't help but imagine how satisfying it would be to see the Eagles soar to victory in this particular season against this particular opponent. It would certainly be the most unexpected chapter in my almost 19 years of fandom. Soon enough I will either experience my classic heartbreak or a new sensation unlike any other. I sure hope it's the latter.

On that note: Fly Eagles Fly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Judge-ment Is In: Aaron Judge is More Than a One Trick Pony

Severino Continues to Solidify Ace Status

Italian Teams Faced with Must-Win Fixtures on Match Day 2